The Jolly Roger Shipyard
Welcome Guest, To The Jolly Roger Shipyard, a community for modelers.
We are an open community for anyone wishing to take up, or contribute to the fascinating and rewarding hobby of ship building, but it doesn't stop there, we also build other models, so why not join in, were a friendly bunch, just don't leave the Rum lying about!

We look forward to meeting you!
Xadium.

HMS Halifax -- Leeds Build

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HMS Halifax -- Leeds Build

Post  Mike T on Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:44 pm

It is some time now since I joined this forum and I keep banging on about my current project and I realise that I have not got a build log set up, so here goes!

It was about nine years ago that I decided to get into building a model sailing ship. Having failed to find a shop selling a plastic HMS Victory Airfix kit, a friend of mine took me to a model shop in Wakefield where I re-discovered wooden boat kits!

I chose what looked like a smaller, simpler kit, a top sail schooner from the time of the American revolution. Halifax had been built in Halifax, Nova Scotia and funded by local businessmen as a packet ship to work between that port and Boston in the Americas. The war brought an end to this and she was bought into service as a British ship patrolling the eastern seaboard. Hence HMS Halifax.

What with pressures of work and being sidetracked into building the hull of the Del Prado HMAV Bounty, by March this year I had completed the following:

At this point in time I decided that with a renewed interest and the incentive from subscribing to the DeAg Victory, I should get on with Halifax as well.

The following pictures represent progress since then:

By this stage, in September I was ready to start thinking about going above the decks, i.e. masts, spars and rigging.

It was time to bring out my lathe bought back in April and start to use it for what it was intended, the masts and spars.

I should also add that at this point the already minimal instructions in the Constructo kit came to an almost abrupt end so I was learning on my own again!

I started with the bow sprit and jib boom:

To show further work, requires more pictures and I need to charge up camera battery -- oops!!

Mike T
reading

Mike T Currently building: Caldercraft Victory and Constucto HMS Halifax In the dockyard: Del Prado HMAV Bounty Under the bench: Del Prado Cutty Sark

Mike T
Head Moderator

Male Posts: 283

Back to top Go down

Re: HMS Halifax -- Leeds Build

Post  Xadium on Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:18 am

That's a cracking ship and build mate, Im so glad you decided to carry on with building her!

Xadium
Admin

Male Posts: 383

http://jollyrogershipyard.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Sparrow on Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:34 pm

Very nice build Mike, looks fantastic!!! pirat pirat

Jack Sparrow
Admin

Male Posts: 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:08 pm

Top One Mike.. Looking good. Can't wait to see the rigging commence.. Smile santa santa santa

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Male Posts: 186

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Thanks for the kind comments.

I can't wait to see the rigging either, only there is a lot of preparation and learning(!) to do first. arr

The Constructo manual at this point provides three very indistinct black and white photographs showing masts and spars with rigging attachments such as blocks added. The actual text says that all you need to finish the model is to refer to photographs(!) and the information in the full size plans. pirate 2

OK so I have applied the rigging attachments for the bow sprit and jib boom:

I then moved on to the foremast:

Tapering the masts was a steady job turning the supplied dowel down to size on my lathe. The doubling was made up from two mast caps. Each mast cap was supplied in two halves prefabricated in the kit. When I dry assembled them the result was:

This created a dilemma. Should the fore topmast be raked relative to the foremast? I did a lot of research and contacted various modelmaking authorities but everything pointed to the two masts being set parallel to each other. There was no way that I could see to adjust the pre-shaped holes to line the masts up. In the end I had to find some 5mm thick walnut sheet in order to make my own large caps for both masts. Finding the timber wasn't easy, in the end I found that Hobbies supplied wood in 5mm thickness, in panels rather than thin strips.

The result was:

I then completed a similar job on the mainmast and added rigging fittings to both.

The next challenge was where the rigging actually goes. I scanned copies of the plans and printed them off from my computer, so that I could cross off items as they were fitted.

The first mystery is the belaying points around the base of the mast. The plans show a mix of fixed ring bolts but also a number of single blocks strapped to ring bolts in the deck. The plans show various ropes coming down from above and apparently stopping at the block, it does not show where the ropes belay after passing through each block. The belaying pins correspond in number to the fixed ring bolts, so I'm assuming a rope goes through the ring bolt and then to the belaying pin.

The best information on the blocks has come from a chap in Australia who is building the same kit and had the same problem, he has fastened cleats to the mast and will use these as belaying points. CMB do some preshaped mast cleats so an order is going in after Xmas together with some other things I might run short of.

I have installed the ring bolts and blocks for each mast:

I now have two masts waiting for the cleats and some other rigging points, so here is a general view. The masts are not stepped yet, hence the funny angles but you can see my neat(hic!) working area.

Before I even consider starting on the standing rigging, I need to finish the spars to go with the masts. So back to the lathe to make the spanker booms and gaffs for the schooner fore and aft rig and then the spars for the top sail square rigging.

Mike T

reading reading reading

Mike T Currently building: Caldercraft Victory and Constucto HMS Halifax In the dockyard: Del Prado HMAV Bounty Under the bench: Del Prado Cutty Sark

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Sparrow on Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Excellent work Mike, she is looking good!! pirat

Jack Sparrow
Admin

Male Posts: 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:27 am

Well the best laid plans of mice and men!! Smile

Since Christmas I have started on the Caldercraft Victory Kit and at the same time I had to wait to put in the order for the mast cleats. CMB list some walnut cleats which when I checked were out of stock, so instead I bought some metal cleats which were smaller.

I painted each one with metal primer and then used some Admiralty Walnut paint to give a brown (wooden?) finish.

I then made a series of small slots in the mast and fixed each cleat in a slot with medium superglue from CMB.

There is a mast cleat for each of the blocks at the base of the mast, so when I get to the rigging the end of the line through the block can be belayed off on a cleat.

Not sure whther this is right or not but it is the best guess and hopefully will look authentic when the ship is finished. After all, how many rigging experts will actually see this model??

Next job is to complete the train tackles for the guns before I start thinking of fixing masts and then a lot more turning which still needs to be done.

Mike T

reading

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  samson on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:57 pm

hi Mike
It sur is a butiful bout , and exaland woark don . hope to see more of this build ( did i get it reight - you startede this build at ages 9 ? )
Regards SAMSON pirat

samson
Commander
Commander

Male Posts: 164

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:13 am

Hi Samson

Thank you for the kind comments on the build. I am feeling even more guilty now about having put the ship to one side in order to work on HMS Victory. I really need some more time for modelling!!

There was a small error in translation! In my original post I said that I started HMS Halifax nine years ago, that is in 2002. I was a young 56 years old at the time! pirat

Don't worry your English is far better than my non-existent Danish!!

I look forward to your build diary contributions and translating your comments! The model you are making is an excellent example.

Mike T

reading

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:19 pm

Hi All

It would appear that HMS Halifax has been ignored for almost a whole year!!

In one way I can't believe it but I have been giving a lot of attention to my Caldercraft Victory which is a huge model in comparison.

As explained on the Victory Leeds build, I am having a brief planking holiday and my first thought three days ago was to get out the lathe which hasn't been used all last year and finish off the spars to go with Halifax's masts.

In the event, I decided that instead of doing them straight away I would move into new areas of experience and start my first attempt at standing rigging. A day of reading left me with the idea that I could make a start on the foremast shrouds.

The first step was to assemble the deadeyes to the chainwales.

I could then pass the chains through the holes in the chainwales and fasten the chain ends using a small pin and some superglue to make sure.

The big problem apparently, when rigging the shrouds, is to get the spacing regular between the two rows of deadeyes. I found the same jig described in at least two of the books I was reading.

I pinned a deadeye to one end of a small wooden strip so that the three pins protruded through and could be inserted in the deadeye already mounted on the chainwale. I pinned another deadeye to the strip with a 2cm spacing and then ran the shroud down from the lower masthead and used some super glue to attach the shroud to the deadeye. Once the glue was stuck I could remove the deadeye from the wooden jig and complete the fixing of the shroud round the deadeye.

When the lanyard is threaded through the deadeyes and tightened, the distance between the deadeyes should be about 2 cm.

So far I have completed the starboard and larboard pair of shrouds and have now to rig two single shrouds on each sife of the foremast.

Once I have the single shrouds in place, I am going to have a go at my first set of ratlines. That should be fun -- any hints tips etc would be appreciated.

Mike T

reading

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  samson on Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:20 pm

Hi Mike
Im glad to see you take op Halifax again it is a wery interesting littel model . by. the way wat is the scale and messerment on it ? as i mit go fo it too.
it look like a good idea wit the fixed deadeyes as i just been thrue 120 pices of them (60 per ), the idea might have helpt . but i still have about 60 to go . so i will try it out for chure.
About the ratlines i vill recoment yousing a kleme of wood

the demensions ofcors depends of the scale . in my case - Cutty Sark 1:84 it suted fine with 4 X 4 mm , it takes 1 mm for the rope and the not , so it make space 5 mm betwine the ratlines .
I find that the first not is dificult , but her you can fix the tread til the not is tidned up using a 3. plast klam .

Ther might bee bether ways but this is the way i do it .

samson
Commander
Commander

Male Posts: 164

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:36 pm

Hello Sansom

The Halifax kit is from Constructo and is a challenge, as I am discovering, because it is a top sail schooner and therefore has a mixture of both 'fore and aft' and 'square' rigging. All of which I am going to have to learn more about!

The scale of the model is 1:35 The length is 74cm, the width is 26 cm and the height is 59 cm. You can get it from Cornwall Model Boats for about 185 euros. When I bought my kit 10 years ago it only cost about £80!

Your idea of clamping the shrouds when tying on the ratlines looks absolute magic. I haven't touched the modelling today, so when I'm ready I shall certainly set up the clamps as seen in your excellent photographs. Many thanks for that advice.

Regards

Mike T

reading

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  rdsaplala on Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:11 pm

Hello Mike T,

Very nice work on the Halifax, you're coming into the homestretch now, doesn't it feel great to start lashing on those rigging threads? Very Happy I also use a jig similar to Samson's, though mine is less elegant Embarassed
I sandwich the shrouds in between 2 planks held tightly in place by clothes pins. Width of the planks is equal to the prescribed spacing between the rats. With your permission, here is a picture of my jig Smile

-Aldo ahoy

rdsaplala
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Male Posts: 25

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike T on Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:43 pm

Hi Again Aldo!

Just come across to Halifax to add some updates and I have found your post which I again missed while I was away.

I have followed Samson's suggestion about clamping two planks across the shrouds and have finished my first mast!

I started by fixing a stretcher to the shrouds just above the deadeyes. It wasn't shown in the original kit plans but follows the advice given in the 'Young Sea Officer's Anchor' by Darcy Lever.

I then continued tying the ratlines using two small planks (ice lolly sticks!) clamped as spacers to maintain a regular distance and to keep the shrouds straight.

I have also fixed the bowsprit assembly in place and seized the gammoning. Again I have followed the book rather than the kit instructions. They suggest 4 turns and the book says never less than eight and also shows the frapping turns designed to make the gammoning as tight as possible.

I now have to decide whether to carry on with Halifax or get back to Victory and the seemingly endless second planking!

Mike T

reading

Mike T
Head Moderator

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top