The Jolly Roger Shipyard
Welcome Guest, To The Jolly Roger Shipyard, a community for modelers.
We are an open community for anyone wishing to take up, or contribute to the fascinating and rewarding hobby of ship building, but it doesn't stop there, we also build other models, so why not join in, were a friendly bunch, just don't leave the Rum lying about!

We look forward to meeting you!
Xadium.

HMS Surprise A/L ~ Magpie1832 5 4.5 15

HMS Surprise A/L ~ Magpie1832

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

HMS Surprise A/L ~ Magpie1832

Post  Magpie1832 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:09 am

Hi All,

Welcome to my Build Log of the HMS Surprise by A/L which I am trying to convert to the Jotika prototype version..

The is slight warpage to the keels Shocked but will correct it with some blocks when I put the ribs on. Maybe later.

Here I have glued the two keel parts together. I put the keel next too the HMS Victory keel to show the size to you all. Lots of work to come...

Iv'e made a start on the decks but am going to replace the deck planks with Tanganyka strips. So here is where i am . Going to glue all the ribs in place later.

[/size]

Last edited by Magpie1832 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Male Posts: 186

Back to top Go down

Re: HMS Surprise A/L ~ Magpie1832

Post  Magpie1832 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi Again. Got my delivery of 1x5x500mm Tanganyka from Online hobbies Friday morning. [biggrin] So I then used medium oak stain along the edges of each strip and a quick rub here and there on the main face.
Then I gave a light sanding of the planks. Followed by one coat of Antique oil.(seals the wood from creep of the black marker). Then ran black marker down the edges.

I used my master cut set to 135mm planks.(Deag instructions say 80mm planks? 12ft planks Dont think so..) And cut half of them. then markered the ends. All ready now for gluing later.

I came to 135mm because the deck length is 7690mm long. If I used the scale 133mm planks I would have an off cut worth nothing at the rear. I worked on a 3 plank shift. I took 133 divide by 3 = 44.33. Put marks along deck at this interval made me short by 21mm. So I thought there are 17 shifts in plank so I made spacings of 45mm between each shift making each plank 135mm. Leaving 4 mm at the rear.Which is covered.
CONFUSED>>>>>>.lol.

Last edited by Magpie1832 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jack Sparrow on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:35 pm

Hi Chris. Nice to see ya. I do like the Tanganyka. Using it on my Victory decks!! Looks real nice once oiled. Very Happy

Jack Sparrow
Admin

Male Posts: 147

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:45 pm

Hi Jack,
Nice to see ya,, Yes it is a nice wood once oiled, I will be using on my Victory aswell unless I can find beech at 3mm planks lol. Hows the pearl 2 coming along.. Smile Smile

Here Is where I am upto at the moment on the deck planking. I also Tried out my way of Tre-nailing. I drill a 4mm hole and insert 0.25mm black fishing line into the hole with thin super glue.Then trim and sand. Looks Quite effective and not too big.

The Deck is now fully planked . Iv'e started to drill for the trenails now. Here is what I did in pictures. I used .25mm fishing line.

Here is my latest update. Iv'e completed the laying of the planks, and tre nailed the deck. Then used Antique oil on them. This is the result of all of that. Hope it looks fine and dandy. Still unsure as deck looks dark.

Smile Smile [/size]

Last edited by Magpie1832 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:08 pm

Here in my pictures I have filled the front with Balsa and filed and smoothed it out. Then with planks (not the correct ones these are soft bendy planks) I test fitted it out to see how it all lay before getting the real planks going.

Here I have started to lay the planks. Its took me a while to work out the correct starting place an d position so I can get a nice straight flow.

Here is the rest of today's work. I haven't used 1 pin yet lol..

I am trying to get away without using pins on all the planking on both Ships. Most modellers only pin to tack them in place then pull them out. The deagostini pins are not brass only coloured brass. Once they are snipped and sanded they are silver and prone to rust. I found that out on the San Fran 2.

Planking, If you are choosing not too pin, then you can only do a couple of planks every 2-3 hours if using Alphatic Glue. But you get good finish. Pinless on natural wood finish is very nice especially in this sized ship too.

I'm dreading the gunports too. The instructions are really good([lol] [lol] )not.
cut hole here is round about what they say...

Anyways... Here is the latest installment of a few more planks. I had to rip off 4 off them and redo them this morning because I wasn't happy with how they lay and where they finished on the front.So I've got the replacement on now and am pleased with them now..lol..

Here is the first side sanded down ready for the Gunport cutouts.

Thanks Chris..

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xadium on Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:13 am

Brilliant work as always mate!!!!

Xadium
Admin

Male Posts: 383

http://jollyrogershipyard.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 pm

Here are my latest Pic's...

Here I have gone off course of the instructions.I had installed the inner walls as you can see and painted them whit but then decided to bash up some more..lol. I have cut my first gun-port and marked the others. I have used an image of the original plans of the surprise to get the ports in the correct position which is where the Jotika ports are placed.

I also changed the method of doing the gun-ports. Here is a picture of how it is done A/L's way. Then Pictures of how I have done mine.

Here is one of the Stern Gunports. The last three have port doors as that is were the admirals cabins are.(Whatever they are called). This is my interpretation of those.

Here is the bow Gunport. It is further forward than the Instructions say.. It is in-line with the prototype Gunport.It was quite tricky as the front is solid and I will have to use a dummy cannon.

Here I have managed to do all the ports on one side and line the inside of the main deck.

Here is what I received in issues 9 and 10. I've not got anymore progress as am waiting on ordering the planks in Walnut.

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:00 pm

I received my Walnut planks today, Here I thought i would see how they bend. I found them quite easy to work with when wet.

Here I have deviated from the instructions and fitted the Stem and Keel before planking and have cut a rabbet which the instructions don't have you doing. I am measuring for the garboard plank which I have bought a 10mm planks for..

I also have had to severly pack out the ribs to get them level..

Here is the first Garboard Plank fitted, I have cut both just waiting for one too dry before fitting the second.. Didn't know how much of a pain they are to do the first time... LOL.

Here I have started to make markings to where I will start the planking, Preparing and marking is time consuming. I have installed a Plank for me too mark up, It will be removed as it is pinned..Lol..

I first installed the centre strake to get a split between lower and upper hull. I then put masking tape into the gaps. and on the centre rib the wides gap I placed planks there and counted how many it would take to fill, i drew a line on the centre tape at the point of each plank. I removed the tape of the shortest rib and placed it on a piece of wood and drew a line with a square exactly the same as the tape then in order placed each piece of tape in between those lines, Then with the centre piece of tape in place I drew a line across all pieces of tape,

I Removed them and placed them back on the ship in the right sequence . I the cut along the tape on each tape parallel to the last plank and stuck them to a plank.( mark position of each rib).That then gives a width need for sectio0n of plank, So i can file or plane the plank to the tape. Giving the correct shape. Once sanded i Fitted them..

I didn't bend the plank along the ship sideways. At the stern I have used a stealer.. Last pic is the stealer, Find it..lol

Only got one pic today. Here is the bow of the ship, I have attempted to plank the correct way inline with reality. No sharp ends lol..

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:24 am

Here is latest update on the planking..

Chris..

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xadium on Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:49 am

Looking awsome mate!!!!

Xadium
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi All,

Not much progress yet... just matching the planking from my previous pics on the other side of the ship...

Here are the latest issues, 11-12...

Chris..03

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xadium on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:59 am

I love the fact that A/L use the plastic storage boxes for the parts, that's a nice touch!

Keep up the great work mate, I'm watching with envy!!!

Xadium
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jonny7england on Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Coming along very nicely Chris...looking pretty damn sharp mate arr

jonny7england
Sub Lieutenant
Sub Lieutenant

Male Posts: 37

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home

Back to top Go down

Post  Magpie1832 on Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:30 pm

Wow planking is really slow... Here are the latest pics I've done..

Chris

cannon cannon

Thanks Chris

Magpie1832
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Xadium on Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:41 am

It may be taking you a while, but the result is outstanding! but you can stop showing off now with your fancy shaped stealer's Razz lol!

Xadium
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 11 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top